Tuesday, August 7, 2012

What if...

  Picture illustrated by Lady Rhen

   The Olympics. Most people have probably watched and are watching this, once every four years, event, and most likely you have a favorite sport. Mine is swimming. Yes, I enjoy watching it all, but I love competitive swimming. Some of you may know that I swam competitively for five years, from the summer of 2007 to the summer of 2011. If you are like me or an athlete, you wonder, even dream, of being in the Olympics. I was pretty good at swimming, could I have made it to the Olympics? Then I think, I started late in my life training and these professionals have been going since they could walk. Maybe I could have made it if I had started very young. As I watch, listen, and dream, I realize something: this is all they know. They have sacrificed so much to be at the top, to be the best. Sitting there watching these athletes, I realize I don't want to make those sacrifices. I am able to be with my family every day, I am able to work along side my grandparents on the farm, I am able to enjoy every minute of every day, not worrying about my being some where every single day for hours on end, not fretting over being passed up by a better competitor, being the best. I enjoy the life God has given me, I enjoy the gift and love he gave me for swimming, but I will not let it get in the way of Him or my family.
    Now, I know that God has blessed strong Christians in being great and famous athletes and most are close to their families, but it is not the life He has planned for me, and I thank Him for that. I do still wonder what it could have been like, but I don't worry about it. I have a life to live that God has granted me and I will use my talents to further His kingdom. If it means I am a wife fulfilling my husband's needs, and together training the future generation, or maybe being a famous athlete, I will do as the Lord commands. And do it with a thankful heart.

    Well, this has been my first post and most likely if I do it again they will be few and far between.
Until next time!
    Lady Rhen


P.S. "Psst!  Sorry to interrupt, sister Rhen, but HEY, EVERYBODY! this is our 100th post!  *ahem*  You may go on, I just suddenly felt the need to share that with you..." ^ _ ^


1 comment:

Ashlin said...

I'm glad you've posted, Rhen. And it was a great post by the way. Much as I'd like to say it is easy, I do sometimes struggle with being content following Christ in the things He has chosen for me. There is so much to be thankful for.

And congratulations on you're 100th post!