Monday, November 5, 2012

Fort Loudoun Trade Faire

Good morning!
At last, I finally have the pics for our Fort Loudoun trip!
This past September, Jen and I went with our grandparents to Loudoun to visit the historical site/museum/faire.  (Jenny and Julia went last year, so this was my first time, and I loved it!) 

Here is the sign that greets you as you walk up the road from the parking area:


From there, you enter a building that serves as the gift shop and museum/info center.  Below, you see the mini model of the actual fort.



Poppy was really interested in the cannon they had on display.


This is the little plaque on the cannon.  I don't know if you can read what it says or not, but here's the inscription: "This cannon, believed to be one of the originals, was donated to Fort Loudoun State Historical Area by Roy & Helen Sunderland."
Heh. Can you see my reflection?  =D


This is a display of what one of the bedrooms would've looked like.


Nice lookin' rifle, there.


Below, is a historically-correct circus camp.  The performer and his wife were hilarious! I loved hearing and watching their act.  He performed tricks that were dated to that time period.  His magic trick especially threw me off.  I couldn't believe it!  More on that in the next pic.


This is at the end of a magic trick.  I'm sure he did more, but this was the only one we saw, because there was a whole lot more to see in the area.  (Throughout the day, the site has various shows scheduled for entertainment, as well as little history lessons.)
I'll try to explain his trick.  On the table behind him, you see the oranges and little wooden (or brass) cups.  The entertainer began his show by citing a poem, all the while performing the magic trick.  It was incredible!  There was one guy in the audience who exclaimed a "whoa!" or "wow!" every now and then, he was definitely impressed.  Anyway, the performer moved the cups around and made little bitty red balls appear, still reciting the poem (I don't even remember what it was about).  Later, he made oranges appear from the bottom of the up-turned cups!  I wasn't expecting them, so that really blew me away.  I wish I had thought to record the show... It was great!


In another act, involving his wife, he had a volunteer from the audience write down five numbers in which he had his wife guess them.  She did, but I believe he gave her hints along the way.  *wink wink*

In the one below, he had his wife guess what he was thinking.  This was really cute and absolutely hilarious!  
Some of what I remember from the dialogue:

Man:  "Honey, I'm thinking of a number between one and twenty."
Wife:  "What is it?"
Man:  "15."
Wife:  "That's it!"
Man turns to audience:  "Isn't she good?"

This went on with more "mind" tricks.  They were quite a pair!


Moving on...
That little door to the right of the two men walking is where we entered the actual fort.  (I'm looking back at it.)  All around, there were tents, tents, and more tents.  Many were set up as shops, selling their goods, others were set up to display authentic equipment, and much more.



This line of cabins would have housed soldiers and their families, all together.  In one of them, we met a woman and her two daughters dressed in period dresses.  She spoke to us about how they would have lived with the soldiers with only a sheet over the bunk beds for privacy.  Men with families were not given separate quarters.  We found this very interesting.


We showed up at the end of this couple act and heard the very last of their final song.


Many people were dressed up.  Soldiers, Indians, housewives, etc.  



This next set of performers had to be my favorite.  
The Beggar Boys!
They sang, played instruments, and even danced a little bit!  They were quite comedic.  I did video a few of their songs and hope to post them later.
The instruments played were fiddles, a penny whistle, and mandolin.


Their outfits were great!  They surely looked the part. 
(I loved seeing the toe.)


Their songs included an Irish jig or two, a pirate shanty, and a few others.




Here's just a few leather items up for sale.
(This pic loaded wrong, ignore bottom mis-colored section...)


Jenny and I really liked the dresses they had to buy. 
A bit expensive, though.



If you didn't know, I am sort of coin collector, though definitely not an avid-when-I-see-I-must-buy.  I absolutely loved this particular coin, and now regret not buying... ah, well.
(I also love almost anything to do with ships...)


Pins and brooches.  Very lovely.


I have to say the man's lecture below was one of the most interesting and informative history lessons I've ever had.  
His name is Steven Caudill and he travels cross-country giving a historical account on the life of Daniel Boone.  Below, you'll see him portraying Boone in the manner of dress as would have been worn during the 18th century.  In fact, this man is a direct descendant of Boone's line.
Now, for those of you who love Fess Parker's version of Daniel, will be sorry to hear that the show was totally inaccurate.  I wouldn't say that Mr. Caudill was whole-heartedly against the show, but he did make a point to say it wasn't true.  Really, when you think of it, Parker's portrayal and dress in the Daniel Boone show resembled more of a Davy Crockett style... Don't you think?

Anyway, this man was very passionate in his portrayal and speech.  Let me tell you, he's done his research.  He told of Daniel's life, as recorded in journals, of his faith, and family.  All in all, the story of Daniel Boone is quite a sad tale.  He fathered nine or ten children, can't remember which, one died in infancy, and his two eldest sons were killed.  The oldest, James (age 16), was murdered by Indians (Very brutal, I warn you.  Boone took it really hard, according to Mr. Caudill.) and the other son, Israel, died beside him in a battle.


This pic is kinda random, I just liked the looks of his mug.



Close-up of his clothing.


And there you have it.  We very much enjoyed our visit and hope to go again next year! 
To find out more about the Trade Faire, click here to visit the state's website, or here to see the fort's official site.

Thanks for reading!
Have a great day,
Sarah


No comments: